Louise hays park
Amenities of this popular park, include: an interactive fountain, playground, restrooms, pavilions and trail heads. There are also numerous picnic areas, parking areas, and a stage with concrete dance slab.
Louise Hays Park
64 acres located on the Guadalupe River in downtown Kerrville. Trails, playground, horseshoe pits, washer pitching, large covered pavilion (80′ X 125′), 39 concrete tables, large commercial sized wood burning BBQ pit with surrounding serving area, restrooms. Also features Tranquility Island, a 7 acre Cypress lined island in the middle of the Guadalupe River with benches. Bridges connect the island to the main park and to stairs on the bank below Butt-Holdsworth Memorial Library.
Museum of Western Art
The attraction of Kerrville’s Museum of Western Art lies as much in its outside walls as in the artwork found inside. The structure’s heavy timbers and rugged retaining walls of stacked limestone, created to resemble a fortressed hacienda, is the work of Texas architect O’Neil Ford. The handsome building design, destined to join the status of many of the works hanging on the walls as “classics”, combines a traditional Southwestern style with a modernization of Hill Country vernacular.
The Kathleen C. Cailloux City Center for the Performing Arts in beautiful downtown Kerrville, TX includes the 800 seat Cailloux Theater, the intimate VK Garage Theater black box, and the Kit Werlein Annex support facility. All facilities and programming are managed by Playhouse 2000, a production and community theater performance company with over 20 years history bringing great entertainment to the Hill Country. We hope to see you soon!
Charles Schreiner served in the Texas Rangers from 1854 – 1857. During this time he also purchased ranch property in Kerr County and married Mary Magdalena Enderle. After serving in the Confederate Army for 3 1/2 years during the Civil War, Captain Schreiner rejoined his family in Texas in 1865. Just a few years later he started the mercantile business that would culminate in one of the largest mercantile-banking empires of its time in the Southwest. Wealth encouraged philanthropy, and in 1917 Schreiner founded the Schreiner Institute, now Schreiner University.